how does the winter soldier sleep
What Jody represented in 9x19 was a person devastated by grief and loss coming to terms with the fact that sometimes you can not fill the hole in your life with outside forces, or with other people. She knows she has things she needs to deal with, but she’s not hiding from…
Don’t watch, sweetheart
Why is no one talking about how awesome Jody was, how great the interaction between the three women was. How Jody acknowledge past grief and how she was hiding. This was an episode for the women and I loved that part.
For a show that treats women questionably time and time again, last night was very, very surprising. Not only from the compassion that was shown through all three of these women, but the sharing that theses women did.
I can’t remember if ever there have been three women on the screen at the same time on Supernatural, and I was reeling last night with how great they all were.
So it’s universal is what you’re saying
I always say this in tags, but I’m going to say it here for once because I’m so tired of people trying to pigeonhole Jane as just the ‘love interest’ and denying all the amazing things she does:
Please notice how Jane is completely focused on the science of Asgard and asking questions and comparing their equipment to Earth scientific equipment.
Now notice that Thor is the one looking at her like she’s made out of magic and unicorns and fairy dust while she’s so engrossed with science, she almost forgets he’s there.
Thor is the love interest in this movie; Jane is the badass scientist who helps save the world. Yes, they’re in love with each other, and yes, Jane gets weak in the knees when Thor is around, but so does Thor, and being in love doesn’t stop Jane from defeating Malekith with her science skills.
Love doesn’t make you weak, and being in love with the lead male character does not mean you are a boring, one-dimensional character who doesn’t do anything of note. Stop dismissing female fictional characters as worthless just because there’s a romance in the story.
Probably Better SPN Spinoff Ideas: Stories about teenage girls and monsters.
This broke my heart.
Given the chance, these two would probably make a great team.
This was a very ugly moment, but I liked it for a couple of reasons.
1. With one use of the word ‘bitch’, Berens exposed how blatantly problematic all the hundred other times this word is casually used as an invective, the ‘gratuitous misogyny’ of it. So often when Sam or Dean throw around the word bitch, it’s so casual, used to make them look cool and badass. This was not. This was scary and vulgar. This is how so many women hear this word.
2. Of course there are parallels with Anne and Sam, but there’s also one with Alexis and Dean. If Sam is her rebellious side (Anne), than Dean is her obedient side (Alexis). The kid forced to grow up under terrible circumstances, raised by monsters, the Stockholm Syndrome, indoctrinated to put family first, who can’t acknowledge how badly they abuse her, who rationalizes the abuse, who can’t fight back, her family draining her of life/blood, her family making her use her body as bait, her family beating out of her every bit of inconvenient personality/humanity to make their lives easier, make her obey, being very good at being bloodthirsty hunter but hating it at the same time, their parental figure using them to fill the hole left by another dead loved one. John was a monster, in a lot of ways, he was abusive, neglectful, and did such a number on Dean I’m not sure if Dean will ever be Dean. But he also had some good parts, because that’s how people are. Celia (Vampire Mom) was also the same way. They were both abusive, but they genuinely loved their kids. But loving their kids doesn’t justify what they did.
So Dean here, when confronted with the proud and unapologetic abuser, well, what he’s seeing is the part of John he hates, but can’t even admit to himself that he hates (because that would involved acknowledging what John did to him, which I don’t think he’s done since the dream of his demon self in Dream a Little Dream of Me back in season 3). He’s cutting the head off a dangerous vampire, sure, and the Mark is obviously affecting him. But he’s staring John in the face when he does it. And himself, because I’m sure he thinks he’s just like this vampire, doing nothing hurting and exploiting his family because he’s a selfish prick (he isn’t, but that doesn’t mean Dean doesn’t think he is).
I would like to be hopeful that because Alexis-Anne killed her John, that Dean will be able to kill the demon of his father still inside his head, but well, this is SPN, what are the chances of something nice happening?
(In addition to what I just talked about, Berens did a number of small and large things in this episode that I really liked. Female rock star pseudonyms [one of the Wilson sisters from Heart], getting called out on the female rock star pseudonyms by a teenage girl, handling an abuse storyline well, Bechdel-test passing, and writing Dean and Sam like the grown-up kids of an abusive environment. Some of the writers are serious John Winchester Abuse Apologists, or are just a bit…careless with how they should be writing adult abuse survivors, but Berens does not appear to be either of these. So despite being a ‘filler/MOTW’ ep, I actually liked it, and it connected to the larger character arcs, which is what all filler/MOTW eps should do [and not just in a two-minute convo by the car at the end of the ep, either, as they so frequently do])
(And just because I am an etymology nerd, I would like to mention that ‘Celia’, a diminutive of Cecelia, can mean either ‘heaven’ or ‘blind’, and Saint Cecelia is the patron saint of music.)
More blindness, interesting… (I’m still thinking that Sam is such a Samson figure that we’ll see him blinded at least temporary by the end of the show.)
Cecilia/Cecelia is also one of the four virgin saints. (S:t Lucy is the other than I can remember right away, also associated with blindness. *google* S:t Ursula, maiden pierced with arrows. S:t Agnes, patron saint of rape victims. All the men who tried to rape her went blind.) Ties into the theme of barren lands/childlessness (that I wrote about earlier) as well as the virginity theme from That Episode We Don’t Talk About.
- clean bathroom tips
- organize your closet
- how to fix a leaky faucet
- how to keep a clean kitchen
- removing stains from your carpet
- how to coupon
- what to do when you can’t pay your bills
- see if you’re paying too much for your cell phone bill
- how to save money
- How to Balance a Check Book
- How to do Your Own Taxes
- how to take care of yourself when you’re sick
- things to bring to a doctor’s appointment
- what to expect from your first gynecologist appointment
- how to make a doctor’s appointment
- how to pick a health insurance plan
- a list of stress relievers
- how to get free therapy
- what to do if you get pulled over by a cop
- a list of hotlines in a crisis
- things to keep in your car in case of an emergency
- recipes that take 30 minutes or less
- Yummy apple thing
- Brownie in a cup
- Cookie in a cup
- French bread pizza
- Egg tacos
- panera mac n cheese recipe
- different salad recipes
- harry potter recipes
- healthy recipes
- various cookie recipes
- chocolate cupcakes w/ eggless cookie dough topping
- s’mores pie
- nutella hot chocolate
- peanut butter nutella swirl cookies
- cookie in a mug
- starbucks holiday drinks
- fruit leathers
- brownie in a mug
- how to make ramen 1000x better
- eggless cookie dough (not to bake, just to eat)
- make recipes using things you already have
- how to put together a very fancy cheese plate
- make different flavored lemonades
- various desert recipes
- make tiny chocolate chip cookies
- 20 dishes every cook should know
- learn how to make your own tea
- Macaroni and cheese in a mug
- Study snacks (2)
- 40 on-the-go breakfast recipes
- what the hell is a mortgage?
- first apartment essentials checklist
- how to care for cacti and succulents
- the care and keeping of plants
- Getting an apartment
- time management
- create a resume
- find the right career
- how to pick a major
- how to interview for a job
- How to write cover letters
- ULTIMATE PACKING LIST
- Traveling for Cheap
- Travel Accessories
- The Best Way to Pack a Suitcase
- How To Read A Map
- How to Apply For A Passport
- How to Make A Travel Budget
I’ve been living on my own for almost 4 years now and I have like 50 tabs open.
Bless the person who put together this post, it ought to be made into a pamphlet for everyone in highschool/college.
Everyone needs this.
i hope those pictures of misha and tahmoh on the playground are not only them messing around,
but also cas and gadreel having an important meeting like